2. Age, Occupation:
39, Electronics Technician, Federal Aviation Administration
3. What is your athletic background?
I quit smoking when I was 30 and decided to get back into shape. I began running (obsessively) and worked my way up in distance. I completed 3 marathons prior to starting CrossFit.
4. How long have you been doing cross fit and how/why did you start?
My first class was in August of 2014. I started CrossFit because I was plagued with overuse injuries from the running.
5. How did it feel emotionally and physically when you started cross fit?
When I first started I thought I was in pretty good shape, but soon realized that I was not as well-rounded of an athlete as I had believed. Although I could run fairly well, I could hardly jump on a 20” box. Also, my upper body strength and anaerobic stamina was terrible.
The culture at RLC is great; I have always felt like there is a family type of atmosphere. I have always been encouraged to do my best and have never felt overwhelmed or intimidated. We as a box celebrate when a newer athlete gets their first pull-up just as much as we cheer for the one who pulls a pound 450 lb. deadlift for the first time.
7. What is one goal/personal record(PR) you would like to accomplish within CrossFit and what is one thing you have accomplished already?
I am currently working on learning to handstand walk. I also got my first ring muscle up in 2016, which was a big one for me.
8. Favorite movement and/or WoD and Least favorite movement and/or Wod.
I still love to run during METCONS and 400’s are my preferred distance per round. I also enjoy back squatting for strength. My least favorite movement (and I am pretty sure I am not alone) is the overhead squat.